Thursday 19 September 2013

Multiply India Visit Day Fifteen, 17 Sept

I want to make the most of the cooler early morning, and at 6.00am settle down in the bay-windowed dining area adjacent to our bedroom.  I catch up with some journalling and dip into a Joni Earekson book.  For the trip I'd taken just one paperback: J Oswald Sanders' reminiscences.  He was appointed Director General of Overseas Missionary Fellowship (OMF - formerly China Inland Mission), and from 1947 criss-crossed Asia visiting their extensive activities.  He also appeared regularly at conferences in the Pacific, and maintained contacts in the States and Europe.  Our mishaps and travels have been child's play compared with his caseload.  I reckoned the book should see me through the two weeks, but time on my hands between Myanmar and UAE meant I'd finished it.

Breakfast was a leisurely affair, bacon, eggs and chipatties.  Daniel explains about the moringa tree growing outside the window.  He's researching the possibilities for sustainable development.  I comment that triffids started off as a too-good-to-be-true horticultural discovery, but Steve scowls at me.  Our 'official' schedule for the day - visiting a home fellowship in Dubai, wasn't going to tie us down until the afternoon.  Steve wanted to doing some shopping, and I needed to check emails and do an account of Butch's expenses for Daniel, now I could get on-line.  I even managed to post two blogs complete with pictures.  However, it was something of a challenge and the tags on the compose page were in Arabic, and the text flowed right to left.  I'd given up on a similar enterprise in Bangkok airport, when the web pages displayed in Thai.  Annoyingly, the connection drops out after I think I've banged off a load of emails, and I have to redo them.  I ring Mary and confirm that I'll be at the Farm early on Thursday, but yes, I'll make it to Phil's and Donna's, too, first.

 I got some time to think about what may be good to share in the evening, as this was clearly not going to be an occasion for a full-on Multiply presentation.  Steve and I were both at war with our tummies.  I simply put it down to irregular eating, and lack of any recent exercise.  Daniel and Hephzi's situation has become somewhat precarious.  They aren't sure of their immigration re-applications next spring, and the other main ministry Daniel's involved in, Cana, is struggling because of reduced flow of funds.  We promised to pray for them (Carmino take note). 

After a late lunch, and celebrating their nephew's birthday, we head of to Dubai, the best part of 100km.  We then head for Sharjah, the Emirate beyond, where we'll spend the evening.  Dennis, the brother Daniel and Steve stayed with in Kochin, is related to our host Jacky, and some of the folks who turn up.  "You'll find Jacky is very 'Brethren'," Daniel explains.  He proves to be more than that; he's outspokenly anti-clerical.  His wife agitates about the meal they want to offer everyone, and ends up sending out for a KFC for Steve and me.  Jacky has been in UAE, trading, for 35 years and remembers Dubai "when it was just one building".  He remarks that the fellowship is seeking ways to draw closer together, and we feel we have something we can impart.  Right on cue, I get my weekly agape 'Covenant love' text message from home. 

Two girls lead us - numbering over twenty - in worship songs: universal Hillsongs.  After I've explained a little how tonight's intention is to relate our experience for the sake of encouragement, Steve talks about brotherhood covenant.  He's just made his first point when an older brother breaks in with a litany on personal relationship[ with Jesus, everyone reading the word for himself, etc.  But Steve has the attention of the young people, and ploughs on.  When we're well past 10.00pm, people get fidgety, and I rapidly wrap up.  The reception has been warm and attentive.  We get instant invitations to visit again next time we're in UAE.  Despite the time, there are some lingering conversations.  I'm amazed that again, in some unsuspected corner of the world, there's a heart to move forward with the Holy Spirit.

Nathan rings from Mumbai airport; "Give us Colney's number, and address, if you've got it.  We have to complete an immigration departure form."  (He and Sam have the details on the insurance risk assessment form that I told them always to carry with them, but no matter.)  "How did it work out there?" I ask, referring to their time in Cuttack.  "Absolutely amazing.  Yesterday we went to a Sony centre (in Bhubaneswar) and got everything (meaning video kit, and supporting laptop).  You should have seen the boys' responses at the orphanage.  Agnes (Colney's eldest daughter) says they won't have slept last night."  That sounds like it's topped off their time well.

The Burj electric gate slides open at quarter to one.  I've managed to doze on the journey home.  The hot air wraps around us as we unpack the car; "Can't believe it, can you?" Steve comments.  Tomorrow's flight is at 10.00am, and we'll have to get moving early.  We've put Daniel and Hephzi to a bit of trouble, but they're indefatigable hosts.  I lay out some fresh and warmer clothes. "Wrap up well, Dad," Ellen has messaged. "We've had to start the heating already."

No comments: